Link alternatif AsianBookie.com: | asianbookie6.com |  asianbookie.uk | (Bookmark CTRL+D)

SBOTOP

bet365 - Best Live Odds on All Asian Handicaps. - SIGN UP NOW!

M88.com

Main Menu | Preferences | Search | Register | Log In

Registered Forum Members: 270880 and growing!

JAL - Japan Airlines - AsianBookie.Com Forums

Stocks, FX, Cryptocurrencies & Commodities Forum 
 Main Menu > Stocks, FX, Cryptocurrencies & Commodities Forum > JAL - Japan Airlines

» CHAT Now! « [ 92 Chatters Online ]
Search | Register | Log In
 ( Page 1 )  Go to Last Post    
Posted By Topic: JAL - Japan Airlines       - Views: 2887
cookieguy
19-Jan 2010 Tuesday 12:52 AM (5212 days ago)               #1
*Gold Member*

Liked By: 82
Followers: 1

Tipsters
Championship:
Player has
not started

Anyone going into JAL (Japan Airlines)? 6 cents (yen) per share now. Cheap, cheap sale! Previously, 5 years high of 335 yen per share. Buy and hold. Risk of bankruptcy or delisting upon restructuring. Reminds me of Citigroup when previously Citigroup drops to $1.....Good risk-reward!

JAL previously bailout for a couple of times by the Japanese government. Will this be the same again?

Let's discuss....

Betting objective: Cover up fixed monthly expenses!

AsianBookie Tipsters Championship
Member of Team:
Ultimate Riches
(Est. Dec 2006)

Total Members: 67

cookieguy
19-Jan 2010 Tuesday 1:37 AM (5212 days ago)            #2
*Gold Member*

Tipsters
Championship:
Player has
not started

TOKYO—Japan Airlines Corp.'s expected bankruptcy filing could wipe out shareholders, cause the value of its bonds to plummet, and alter global investor attitudes toward Japan.

Until now, shareholders had believed that Japan had a governmental safety net and would prop up ailing companies indefinitely. Blue-chip companies such as JAL were thought to be "too big to fail."

"If investors can no longer assume some form of government safety net when investing in Japan, then we have to assume that this would ultimately be reflected in significantly wider corporate spreads than have been the norm to date," said BNP Paribas chief credit analyst Mana Nakazora.

JAL is scheduled to file for bankruptcy following Tuesday's 3 p.m. Tokyo stock market close. Individual shareholders, who accounted for 60% of JAL's 2.73 billion outstanding common shares as of September, will be the hardest hit by the possible subsequent delisting of the airline's stock, which has plunged from a peak of 200 yen ($2.20) last January to a close of 5 yen on Monday.

Hidetaka Miyai, 34 years old, works for a mobile-phone content provider and spent 500,000 yen to buy 1,000 shares at around 500 yen apiece several years ago. "My purpose to hold JAL shares was purely to get discount coupons," he said. Twice a year, the airline issues flight discount vouchers to shareholders, which make the stock attractive to individuals. "I just missed the timing to sell them," he said. "I didn't think JAL would be facing the risk of delisting because it's the national flag carrier, isn't it?"

Even as JAL nears a bankruptcy filing, it is at the center of a tug-of-war between airlines in the Oneworld alliance, to which it belongs, and the SkyTeam alliance led by Delta Air Lines Inc., which is trying to lure it away. Both U.S. carriers believe closer JAL ties will give them access to the carrier's routes in Asia, the world's fastest-growing air market, and are offering JAL financial incentives.

A spokeswoman for Air France-KLM, a leading member of the Sky Team alliance, said the talks "are progressing well."

JAL also is in talks with AMR Corp.'s American Airlines, the leader of the Oneworld alliance.

A delisting from the Tokyo Stock Exchange is the primary concern for the stock market when JAL files for protection from creditors, the Japanese equivalent of Chapter 11 protection, and its rehabilitation process kicks off under the state-backed Enterprise Turnaround Initiative Corp. of Japan.

A key question is whether the rehabilitation plan includes a 100% capital reduction, which would make JAL shares worthless and cause the stock to be delisted. TSE rules stipulate that shares then immediately enter "delisting post", with physical delisting taking place one day after the corresponding day of the TSE's notice in the following month. A TSE delisting announcement made on Jan. 19, for example, would result in delisting on Feb. 20. Market players can still trade in the stock during this one-month period.

Some of JAL's institutional investors already have sold their stake. In November, major trading house Mitsui & Co. said it had sold all of its common shares, while Tokyu Corp., JAL's largest shareholder as of September, said last week that it had sold all of its stake.

While many retail investors rushed to offload their shareholdings late last year, according to local brokerages handling their orders, JAL has recently found many new buyers trying to make quick profit, either on any daily price volatility prior to a bankruptcy protection filing, or on the slim chance that the stock remains listed.

The company's shares have traded heavily all week, with about 550 million shares trading hands Friday. The stock set the TSE single-stock trading volume record Thursday, as more than one billion shares changed hands.

Taro Matsugasako, 29, who works for a trading company, spent 28,000 yen to buy 4,000 JAL shares for seven yen apiece on Wednesday through an online brokerage account he opened in late December. It was his first investment in any stock and he intends to hold onto the shares, in case JAL remains listed.

"In December, I bought 30,000 yen worth of lottery tickets and lost all of it," he said. "I don't mind spending about the same amount on JAL, because I think the chance of winning is at least higher than lottery tickets."

Tomohiro Nakayama, a 26-year-old day trader, is waiting to see if JAL shares fall as low as one yen prior to possible delisting. "That's when I would place massive buy orders, hoping that other people would follow and the shares will be two yen by any chance," he said..

The corporate bond market also is preparing to see a major cut in the value of JAL's bonds. The debt is held by institutional investors, mainly pensions and regional banks.

"It's hard to imagine that JAL bondholders will be protected, as the firm won't be able to find sources to pay for the bonds with a massive debt already on their shoulders, and because major banks are moving to give up their loans to the company," said Yasuhiro Matsumoto, a senior analyst at Shinsei Securities.

The bond market's biggest concern is how much of about 67.2 billion yen outstanding in JAL bonds will be saved. About 47 billion yen of those are conventional bonds, while bonds that can be converted into shares account for about 20.2 billion yen.

Bond players are looking at prices, rather than yields, of JAL corporate bonds in the secondary market, because they are certain that they won't be able to earn coupon income from the bonds.

The key now is how much of JAL bonds will be protected. JAL bonds in recent sessions were being quoted at around 25 yen to 30 yen, compared with their 100-yen face value. That's down from around 50 yen at the end of September, when it asked the government for public funds to boost its capital base. However, Mr. Matsumoto thinks the value of JAL bonds could be cut to less than 20% of face value if JAL applies for court-led rehabilitation.

Still, given the relatively small size of JAL bonds compared to other heavyweights, any direct impact in the overall credit market is likely to be limited even if its corporate bonds do default, analysts said.

—Maarten van Tartwijk and Bart Koster in Amsterdam contributed to this article.

Member of Team:
Ultimate Riches
(Est. Dec 2006)

ahpuiahsan
19-Jan 2010 Tuesday 9:29 PM (5211 days ago)            #3
Gold Member

Liked By: 67

Tipsters
Championship:
Player has
not started

Not trading on Japan stocks, but JAL has filed for bankruptcy 2 or 3 times (if i am not wrong) and the government has assisted the previous round.
Being a national airline, i guessed the governement will step in again.
However, not sure if it will be suspend/delisted this time round.

Trade with care.

Life's like a box of chocs, you'll never know what you gonna get. I didnt know, but when you walked into my life, i just knew i'd gotten the sweetest box...

ahpuiahsan
19-Jan 2010 Tuesday 10:45 PM (5211 days ago)            #4
Gold Member

Tipsters
Championship:
Player has
not started

It's confirmed. It will be delisted.

TOKYO : Japan Airlines went bankrupt Tuesday with 26 billion dollars of debt in one of the country's biggest ever corporate failures, beginning a painful overhaul involving more than 15,600 job cuts.

JAL, a once-proud flag carrier now worth less than a jumbo jet, reassured passengers its flights would not be interrupted during the bankruptcy, which is similar to the process used to revive ailing US auto giant General Motors.

Asia's biggest airline, which carries more than 50 million passengers every year, will slash 30 percent of its workforce and receive almost 10 billion dollars of public funds and emergency loans under a three-year turnaround plan.

JAL said it aimed to "be reborn as a leading airline group".

But transport minister Seiji Maehara warned the government would not keep bailing out JAL indefinitely, saying it would have pulled the plug on the group if it were not such an important company.

"JAL will have to fly on its own after three years," he said. "Looking to the future for the aviation industry, we have to determine if two mega-carriers should exist or not."

Japan's top carrier has fared much worse than smaller rival All Nippon Airways in recent years.

Its shares plunged to an all-time low of just three yen (three US cents) at one point earlier Tuesday, reducing the market value of the group to about 90 million dollars -- far less than even the cost of a new Boeing jumbo.

The stock will be delisted from the Tokyo Stock Exchange on February 20 or earlier, a move expected to wipe out shareholders' investments.

Even so, analysts said bankruptcy appeared to have been the best option.

"Filing for bankruptcy protection was done in a quick and transparent way, and this is positive for JAL's business outlook," said Mitsushige Akino, fund manager at Ichiyoshi Investment Management Co.

The approach of the four-month-old government contrasts with the approach of previous conservative administrations which simply "threw money at JAL to keep it afloat", he said.

JAL made no announcement regarding its tie-up talks with American Airlines and Delta Air Lines, which are in a bidding war for a slice of the Japanese carrier, eyeing its lucrative Asian landing slots.

Delta said it and the SkyTeam airline alliance "fully support Japan Airlines and stand ready to provide assistance and support in any way possible", Delta said Tuesday.

American Airlines issued a statement saying JAL's bankruptcy would not affect the Japanese carrier's current relationship with the oneworld alliance.

The government has tapped Kazuo Inamori, a 77-year-old entrepreneur and ordained Buddhist monk, to run the stricken airline during its overhaul, replacing Haruka Nishimatsu who resigned as president Tuesday.

Inamori is one of Japan's most respected business executives and management gurus, having founded both electronic parts maker Kyocera Corp. and a company that later became part of KDDI Corp., now Japan's number two telecoms firm.

The collapse of the carrier, once a pillar of Japan Inc., has raised concerns among Japanese about the broader woes of their economy, which is back in deflation and set to be overtaken by China as the world number two.

"With JAL's bankruptcy, people are becoming increasingly gloomy about the economy," Hideharu Seiyama, a 43-year-old regular JAL passenger, told AFP at Tokyo's Haneda Airport.

"JAL carried the country on its back and it was known the government would foot the bill, so it was managed on the assumption it would never fail."

JAL went bust with debts of about 2.32 trillion yen (25.7 billion dollars), becoming one of the highest profile victims of Japan's long economic malaise.

It is the country's biggest ever bankruptcy outside the financial sector.

The airline is expected to post a massive operating loss of about 2.9 billion dollars in the current financial year to March, according to the state-backed body overseeing its turnaround efforts.

Creditors will forgive 730 billion yen of debt and the airline said it was confident it could swiftly revitalise its business under the Corporate Rehabilitation Law -- Japan's version of Chapter 11 in the United States.

The group has been hit hard by industry turbulence unleashed by the September 11, 2001 terror attacks in the United States, the Iraq war and the global financial crisis, as well as global health scares in the past decade.

It aims to retire its 37 gas-guzzling Boeing jumbo 747-400s and switch to more fuel-efficient aircraft.

Life's like a box of chocs, you'll never know what you gonna get. I didnt know, but when you walked into my life, i just knew i'd gotten the sweetest box...

cookieguy
30-Jan 2010 Saturday 1:13 AM (5201 days ago)            #5
*Gold Member*

Tipsters
Championship:
Player has
not started

Heng never buy hahaha....speculative trade: good case example that die...

Member of Team:
Ultimate Riches
(Est. Dec 2006)

ahpuiahsan
30-Jan 2010 Saturday 9:26 AM (5201 days ago)            #6
Gold Member

Tipsters
Championship:
Player has
not started

quote originally posted by cookieguy:

Heng never buy hahaha....speculative trade: good case example that die...

But nobody expects JAl, a national Airline will go bankrupt.
Scared

If 1 day SIA also go that way......... Playful

bandofbrother
23-Feb 2010 Tuesday 9:50 AM (5177 days ago)            #7
Gold Member

Liked By: 303

Tipsters
Championship:
Player has
not started

JAL delisted on 20 feb officially, existing shareholders all died.

[Go Back to Top]
 Main Menu > Stocks, FX, Cryptocurrencies & Commodities Forum > JAL - Japan Airlines

Change Timezone:   

6. H_M ms

AsianBookie.com Forums Home | Back to AsianBookie.com

© Copyright 1998-2024 AsianBookie.Com - All rights reserved.
Advertise Feedback WAP Privacy Policy Terms of Service